2018 is a big year for NASA anniversaries and we’d like for you to help us celebrate. NASA was created in 1958, the first manned lunar mission was in 1968, and the first elements of the International Space Station (ISS) were launched in 1998. The club stations at the various NASA centers and facilities plan to be on the air with special events to celebrate these milestones and some may be offering commemorative QSL cards. There will be a special certificate indicating how many centers you worked on various bands and modes that may be downloaded. QSL instructions are available on the QRZ.COM site for each individual club station. We have a web-based system for you to check your points total and download a certificate at the end of the event in December 2018. Visit the Scores section for a link to that system. Points will be awarded for each center worked on each band and mode (phone, CW, digital).
The event will run from December 2017 through December 2018. Note that any contact with a NASA club station during the full time frame will count toward your points total. The following events will have more NASA club participation:
- Apollo 17 45th anniversary – 11-19 December 2017, beginning of event
- NASA founded 60th anniversary (act signed by President Eisenhower) – 29 July 1958
- ISS First Element Launch 20th anniversary – 20 November 1998. We are planning a joint event with the European Space Agency. See https://sites.google.com/site/esahamradio/home Check back for further details.
- ISS Node 1 Launch 20th anniversary – 4 December 1998
- 50th anniversary of Apollo 8 – launch 21 December 1968, splashdown 27 December, end of event
Note that there may be other special event operations by the various centers commemorating specific events but those listed above will include participation from all the centers. All operating modes are fair game including satellites, repeaters, EME, ISS APRS, etc. We hope to be on the air for casual contacts and contests as well.
Please check back here for updates as the program is developed.